35°52' S, 136°43' E
The most expansive of the Parks on Kangaroo Island this park covers
2 areas and surrounds the Ravine de Casoars Wilderness Protection
Area. The total park's area is 17 percent of the island which
is an area of approximately 73 841 hectares (182 460 acres).
Situated at the western end of the island on a tilted and heavily
wooded plateau it is deeply dissected by watercourses. The coasts
on the north and the west have spectacularly beautiful cliffs
broken by steep valleys and small beaches. It was these cliff
faces that resulted in many shipwrecks in the late 1800's. This
determined the need for lighthouses, 2 on either point of the
western coast, being Cape du Couedic and Cape Borda.
Through to the 1980's the park was under the control of a group
of Rangers that lived at the Ranger Station houses at Rocky River
near the entrance at the southern side of the park.
The Flinders Chase National Park is easily accessible and has
camping grounds and accommodation at various sites. It is a pristine
area and includes the attractions of Weir's Cove, Admirals Arch
and Remarkable Rocks.
Being a safe haven for wildlife you may see many animals and birds
including the Kangaroo Island Grey Kangaroo, Tammar Wallabies,
Pygmy Possums, Rosenberg Goannas, Platypus, Bandicoots and Common
Koalas can be seen in the tree tops, these were introduced here
in the 1930's from Victoria where development was encroaching
and depleting their habitats and food sources and extinction was
This park is a very important sanctuary to many of Australia's
animals, free of predators it protects animals which could become
extinct on mainland Australia.